Monday, September 05, 2005

Now to interrupt my busy schedule of school preparation, unpacking, complicated secret blogging about the wedding, and thinking really hard about all those wedding thank-yous for everyone who was so incredibly nice to us...

Yesterday I received this email from my supervisor (yet another Lisa) at the student clinic (last names have been removed for confidentiality's sake):

As many of you know, Dean and I moved here after 6 years in Louisiana. We have heard from several friends who've been directly affected by the hurricane. So far, none of the friends have lost anyone. But many are homeless. Here is an email from a friend of ours whose entire family has been displaced. If you have clothing in the sizes needed and want to donate, please let me know. Certainly, money donations will help them a lot also. Thanks, Lisa

* * * * * * * * * *

From Kate: My family is from St. Bernard Parish which is the city southeast of New Orleans that went totally underwater. This week has been quite exhausting for all of us. We can happily say that everyone is now accounted for!!!! But the reality that their lives will never be the same is now sinking in. My parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins are all homeless for God knows how long. They only have the clothes on their backs so obviously it will take time for them to be able to rebuild their lives. I have attached an email from my mom with some things they will need to rebuild their lives.

Walter: shirts-ex-large, pants: 38w 30 inseam (likes K-Mart), shoe size 9 extra wide, 38 briefs, x-large t shirt, sport socks, jacket

Donna: shoe 5-1/2 or 6 tennis for exercise, need socks and thick exercise socks, small tops, size 6 or 4 petite pants or jeans, loves stretch exercise shorts, size 5 underwear

Uncle Pete: large shirts, 34x30 jeans and pants, 34" boxers, socks, size 10 shoes


Meanwhile, I have been feeling incredibly blessed lately, and when I've been in trouble so many people have helped me out, so I am trying to pay it forward, so to speak. I sent Lisa some money to her Paypal account and tried to explain how she can create a button and so forth that I could put on my site for her, but I think web stuff is not really her thing. So I just said I'd post one of my own (from a memorial fund I set up a while ago) and forward her any donations.

If anyone has clothing as requested above that they'd like to donate, please contact me about sending it. (All sizes are American.)

No comments: