Friday, April 08, 2005

Mark your calendars, folks, a rare event has occurred: I have caught a cold!

That's right. I'm one of those freaks who "never" get colds. (Though I do instantly catch any flu or throat infection that goes around.) I honestly can't remember the last time I had a cold. Maybe sometime in the early '90s? Late '80s?

I read recently that the average person gets three colds a year. I couldn't believe it. What is wrong with people that this happens so often?? One of my frolleagues --who is seriously into every possible alternative medicine thing -- believes this is because I am one of the few Americans who get enough sleep on a regular basis. I interpret this to mean that my laziness serves a useful health purpose.

However, this particular rhinovirus got through. I didn't even try to stop the transmission, which involved the kissing of a certain invidual with obvious cold symptoms. I figured that if I was going to catch it, I was going to catch it anyway.

So far, I don't see what the big deal is. I don't even feel sick, just congested. And it's still several weeks until the friend's wedding for which I will be singing Ellen's Gesang in front of Lord knows how many people, so it should be gone by then.

No comments: