Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Finally...[pant]...turned in...[gasp]...thesis!

For real this time.

I don't feel as triumphant this time for some reason, even though it's about a million times more acceptable and professional than the first time. I think it's one of those things where the first time you do it is exciting just because you've never done it before.

However, I did at least get a science high off it last night as I finally figured out some statistical stuff that I haven't really understood for the past seven years or so.

Have barely slept during the past five days, and my quals/comps paper was also left in the dust for the nonce. Have to catch up somehow, but it's really hard to do more than two pages a day on that darn thing. Also must prepare to begin teaching the day after tomorrow. Luckily, this is a class I have more or less subconsciously been preparing to teach for the past five years or so. I must have known somehow that I'd be called upon to do it some day.

So tired!

Only slept 2.5 hours last night.

Music stuck on repeat in head: Moby's My Weakness. Heard it first on an episode of the X-Files, after which it would pop into my head for no reason at various times. Always wondered what it was. Finally heard it on the Moby CD. Yay! Not lost; not even really obscure. I am discovering I really like Eastern European choral liturgical music. Such elaborate, unexpected, lush harmonies.

Now must work. Somehow.


P.S. the new/old laptop (me/argotnaut) : loves it! Loves it.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I have no job, yet you post more often than I do. You pull down my pants and taunt me. However, I'm getting more that 2.5 hours of sleep a night. Well, maybe not tonight. Lisa returned home safely.

Actually, I think SHE'LL sleep for about 15 hours, and then we'll become reaquainted.

Go to sleep! Sleep is good! That should be your first lesson plan. "Sleep is vital to good mental health, so get some!" First day of class done!

"Sleep! That's where I'm a viking!" -- Ralph Wiggum

Andrew said...

Oh! By the way, congrats on the thesis..turning in..thing.

liz said...

My plan was actually to have a brief nap and then get right back to work. Other work. Guess which thing ended up taking over my day?