Monday, February 27, 2006

Yippee!

I am very excited to report that I have been matched to my first-choice internship site, which is at Relatively Nearby Local University. This is great for any number of reasons.

Since we won't have to go out of state, it will be a lot easier to negotiate parenthood, training, and so forth. Also, I have lived in or near that town on and off for at least half of my adult life, so I'm familiar with the support systems and have good friends who live there. And that site has partner and dependent benefits, and pays a smidgen better than most sites.

Oh yeah--and they have a great multicultural program, which is my area of emphasis.

Furthermore, the campus is beautiful, old-buildinged and tree-riddled with a big river in the middle of it; chock-full of hungry squirrels and ducks. (They have two varieties of squirrel: gray and black--wait, now that I think of it, I've even seen some cagey little red squirrels there betimes.)

7 comments:

Andrew said...

Congratulations! I imagine this must be a big weight off. Enjoy your celebration dinner of whole wheat macaroni and cheese!

Tim said...

Congrats on your placement. That school sounds very similar to one of the schools I thought of attending up yonder (Lawrence).

They had a beautiful campus and great academics, but no real concentration in creative writing. Great music program though.

argotnaut said...

Hooray! I knew it! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

found this in google blogsearch. i also matched and got a great school today, best of luck and glad we are not in that 23% of folks who are still looking

Anonymous said...

Congrats. I'm so happy that everything is working out so nicely for you :)

(and selfishly, I'm excited that you'll still be around town!)

Gwen said...

Yay! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

So you won't have to move?